Resources for GLBTQQ Youth
and their Allies
Recommended by RYA:
· Free Your Mind: The Book for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual
Youth and their Allies by Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman
· Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology
ed. by Bennett Singer
· Is It a Choice? Answers to 300 of the Most Frequently
Asked Questions About Gays and Lesbians by Eric Marcus
· Go the Way Your Blood Beats
· Hearing Us Out: Voices from the Gay and Lesbian Community
· Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence ed. by Marion
· Out for Good
Recommended by PFLAG:
· Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence, Marion Dane
Bauer, editor. Harper Collins, 1994.
· Annie On My Mind, Nancy Garden. Harper Collins, 1992
· Becoming Visible: A reader in Gay and Lesbian History
for High School and College Students, Kevin Jennings, editor.
Alyson Publications, 1994.
· Being Different: Lambda Youths Speak Out, Larry D. Brimmer.
· Children of Horizons: How Gay and Lesbian Teens are Leading
a New Way Out, Gilbert Herdt and Andrew Boxer. Beacon Press, 1993.
· Free Your Mind: The Book for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual
Youth and Their Allies, Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman. Harper Perennial,
· Growing Up Gay/Growing Up Lesbian: A Literary Anthology,
Bennett L. Singer, editor. The New Press, 1993.
· Joining the Tribe: Growing Up Gay & Lesbian in the
'90's, Linnea Due. Anchor Books, 1995.
· The Journey Out: A Book for & About Gay, Lesbian
& Bisexual Teens, Rachel Pollack and Cheryl Schwartz. Puffin
· Two Teenagers in Twenty, Ann Heron, editor. Alyson Publications,
· Understanding Sexual Identity: A Book for Gay and Lesbian
Teens, Janice Rench. Lerner, 1990.
· When Someone You Know is Gay, Susan and Daniel Cohen.
· Young, Gay & Proud!, Don A. Romesburg, editor. Alyson
Book List for Gay and Questioning Teens, Their Families and Friends
(The following list was compiled and annotated by Stefan Freed
for PFLAG/Columbia-Howard County and Howard County Public Schools.
Many these titles are available in the Howard County Library.)
FICTION for ages 12 &
· Bauer, Marian. ed. Am I Blue?: Coming Out From the Silence.
1994. (A collection of short stories about homosexuality by such
authors as Bruce Coville, M.E. Kerr, William Sleator, and Jane
· Bess, Clayton. The Mayday Rampage. 1993. (The AIDS crisis
plays a pivotal role in the lives of high-schooler Molly and her
· Durant, Penny R. When Heroes Die. 1992. (Devastated that
his uncle hero, Rob, is dying of AIDS, twelve-year-old Gary, in
need of advice and guidance in his life, draws strength from Rob
· Heron, Ann and Meredith Maran. How Would You Feel if
Your Dad Was Gay? (For younger readers. Elementary school students
Jasmine, Michael, and Noah all have gay parents, which sometimes
makes them feel different and alone - until they find they can
talk to each other. An excellent source to demonstrate the diversity
· Kerr, M.E. Deliver Us From Evie. (Sixteen-year-old Parr
Burrman and his family face some difficult times when word spreads
through their rural Missouri town that his older sister is a lesbian,
and she leaves the family farm to live with the daughter of the
· Muse, Daphne. ed. Prejudice: Stories About Hate, Ignorance,
Revelation, and Transformation. (An anthology of short stories
featuring young people of different backgrounds who experience
· Sweeney, Joyce. Face the Dragon. (After skipping the
ninth grade and entering high school in an accelerated program
for gifted students, fourteen-year-old Eric and his best friend
Paul seem to undergo a dynamic change in their relationship.)
· Walker, Kate. Peter. 1993. (An ordinary fifteen-year-old
Australian kid, who enjoys riding his dirt bike and wants to be
a photographer, becomes confused about his sexuality when he finds
he is attracted to a gay friend of his older brother.)
FICTION for high school
· Block, Francesca Lia. Baby Be-Bop. 1995. (Dirk MacDonald,
a sixteen-year-old boy living in Los Angeles, comes to terms with
being gay after he receives surreal storytelling visitations from
his dead father and great-grandmother.)
· Cart, Michael. My Father's Scar. 1996. (As he enters
into his first relationships as a gay man, a college freshman
recalls the aching loneliness of life with his alcoholic physically
abusive father, in a community prejudiced against homosexuals.)
· Childress, Alice. Those Other People. 1989. (Bigotry
surfaces at Minitown High when a popular male teacher sexually
assaults a delinquent fifteen-year-old girl and the only witnesses
are a black boy and a gay student teacher.)
· Kijk, Lutz Van. Damned Strong Love: The True Story of
Willi D. Stephan K.: A Novel. translated 1995; orig. 1991. (Based
on a true story, Polish teenager Stefan professes his love to
Willi, thereby endangering both their lives, as the Nazis then
arrest Stefan and he becomes one of the many prisoners of the
· Homes, A.M. Jack. 1989. (Fifteen-year-old Jack's confused
feelings for his father who left him and his mother four years
earlier, are further complicated when he finds out his father
· Kerr, M.E. "Hello," I Lied. 1997. (Summering
in the Hamptons on the estate of a famous rock star, seventeen-year-old
Lang tries to decide how to tell his longtime friends that he
is gay, while struggling with an unexpected infatuation with a
girl from France.)
· Kerr, M.E. Night Kites. 1986. (Seventeen-year-old Erick's
comfortable and well-ordered life begins to fall apart when he
is forced to keep two secrets: the identity of his new girlfriend
and the nature of his brother's debilitating disease.)
· Springer, Nancy. Looking for Jamie Bridger. 1995. (Fourteen-year-old
Jamie Bridger is determined to find out who her real parents were,
in spite of opposition from the grandparents who raised her, but
her search ends in a bittersweet discovery.)
· Wersba, Barbara. Whistle Me Home. 1997. (Seventeen-year-old
Noli feels as if she has found her soul mate when handsome TJ
moves to Sag Harbor, but even as their feelings deepen, individual
secrets threaten their relationship.)
NONFICTION of general
interest to teens
· Cohen, Susan and Daniel. When Someone You Know is Gay.
· Herdt, Gilbert H. Children of Horizons: How Gay and Lesbian
Teens are Leading the New Way Out of the Closet. 1993
· Heron, Ann. ed. Two Teenagers in Twenty: Writings by
Gay and Lesbian Youth. 1994.
· Marcus, Eric. Is It a Choice?: Answers to 300 of the
Most Frequently Asked Questions About Gays and Lesbians. 1993.
· Singer, Bennett L. ed. Growing Up Gay: A Literary Anthology.
· Sutton, Roger. Hearing Us Out: Voices From the Gay and
Lesbian Community. 1994.
· Dew, Robb Forman. The Family Heart: A Memoir of When
Our Son Came Out. 1994.
· Fricke, Aaron and Walter. Sudden Strangers: The Story
of a Gay Son and His Father. 1991.
· Peck, Scott. All-American Boy: A Memoir. 1995. (Local
writer's tale of a solitary, difficult childhood and his struggle
to gain self-worth and inner peace, which he achieved by coming
out, living honestly, and publicly challenging his Marine Officer
· Shyer, Marlene Fanta & Christopher. Not Like Other
Boys: Growing Up Gay: A Mother and Son Look Back. 1996.
· Steffan, Joseph. Honor Bound: A Gay American Fights for
the Right to Serve His Country. 1992.
· Cart, Michael. From Romance to Realism: 50 Years of
Growth and Change in Young Adult Literature. 1996. (Includes excellent
section on the treatment of gays and lesbians in YA literature.)
· Hartman, Keith. Congregations in Conflict: The Battle
Over Homosexuality. 1996.
· Messner, Michael A. Sex, Violence, and Power in Sports:
Rethinking Masculinity. 1994.
· Preston, John. ed. Hometowns: Gay Men Write About Where
They Belong. 1991.
· Preston, John. ed. A Member of the Family: Gay Men Write
About Their Families. 1992.
· Ritter, Carol Ann & John Roth. eds. Different Voices:
Women and the Holocaust. 1993. (pp.261+ - good section on the
treatment of gays and lesbians by the Nazis.)
· Thompson, Mark. Gay Soul: Finding the Heart of Gay Spirit
and Nature With Sixteen Writers, Healers, Teachers, and Visionaries.
· Woog, Dan. School's Out: The Impact of Gay and Lesbian
Issues on America's Schools. 1995.
· Young, Perry Deane. Lesbians and Gays and Sports. 1995.
NONFICTION of interest
· Aarons, Leroy. Prayers for Bobby: A Mother's Coming
to Terms With the Suicide of Her Gay Son. 1995.
· Bernstein, Robert A. Straight Parents, Gay Children.
· Blumenfeld, William. ed. Homophobia: How We All Pay the
· Bullard, Sara. Teaching Tolerance: Raising Open-Minded
Empathetic Children. 1996.
· Muller, Ann. Parent Matter: Parents' Relationships with
Lesbian Daughters and Gay Sons. 1987.
· Whitlock, Katherine. Bridges of Respect: Creating Support
for Lesbian and Gay Youth. 1988.
Would you add something to our list, email
us about it.